Gala Games has announced its decision to pause the issuance of the TOWN token due to a series of major economic changes to its play-to-earn farming title Town Star. The game will also switch to a new engine to improve its security and attract new players.
What changes will happen to Town Star?
- The TOWN issuance will be temporarily stopped beginning July 19, according to the official announcement.
- This means that players won’t be able to earn the token during the whole shifting period. It is unclear how long this transition will last.
- Developers said that they will focus on evolving the Town Star in-game economy, making tech improvements and adding new features.
- Gala Games has already doubled the size of the game’s team and hired third-party expert Mark Skaggs, one of the creators of Zynga’s FarmVille. He also worked at Electronic Arts on games like Red Alert 2 and Command & Conquer: Generals.
- With Skaggs’ help, Gala wants to make Town Star the “first Web3 game to achieve large-scale mass adoption.”
- The company thinks that upgrading the project’s economy is essential to achieve this goal. However, it is still unclear how the Town Star tokenomics will change exactly.
- Gala will also switch the game engine from client-side authoritative PlayCanvas to server-side authoritative Godot. This should help the company prevent cheats, hacks, and scripts.
What to know about Town Star and its audience?
- Town Star is the flagship product of Gala Games, a company started by Zynga co-founder Eric Schiermeyer. So it is no surprise that the game draws a lot of inspiration from FarmVille and other farming / city-building titles.
- Users build their own towns and compete with each other by completing in-game challenges. The best players top the leaderboard for a chance to win prizes.
- To start playing Town Star, a user needs an open Gala Games account. They can win weekly rewards in the form of the GALA token.
- The game’s reward token is TOWN. Players can earn it by completing daily play-to-earn challenges to purchase exclusive NFT items and in-game upgrades.
- At the moment of writing, TOWN is priced at $0.014 (via CoinMarketCap). It is down 99.46% from its all-time high of $2.62. TOWN also has a 24-hour trading volume of $151,074 and a live market cap of $3.8 million.